As we all have learned about "Data Visualizations" in my previous blog, lets start learning the best way to generate and integrate them in web applications.
What is D3.js
Why D3.js is better than other charting libraries
- Free for even commercial use under BSD licence.
- Highcharts is one of the alternative but it's a paid for commercial use.
- Prefuse and flare – need extra browser plugin.
- D3.js has open source community with lots of code samples.
- As its widely used for charting so its Hireable skill :) - Check job availability here
Advantages of D3.js over other charting libraries
- Open Source
- Powerful Visualization
- Interaction techniques
- DOM manipulation
- Freedom to design the right visual interface
- Works without any plugin like other libraries
- D3.js helps you bring data to life using SVG, Canvas and HTML
- You can also integrate transitions of different SVG elements very easily
D3.js is one of the best data visualization framework and it can be used to generate simple as well as complex visualizations along with user interaction and transition effects. In my next blog I will try to explain how we can use D3.js to generate a visualization with an example.
Next > Understanding SVG coordinate systems